Mount Everest Trekking in October
Everest Trekking is one of the main attractions of Nepal. Every year hundreds and thousands of trekkers visit Nepal with the sole purpose of Everest trekking. Yes, of course, there are many other trekking routes and tours to different places of Nepal but Everest Trekking is on the top of the list. October is considered one of the best months for Trekking to any Himalayas of Nepal. Trekking in October is another advantage to trekkers as this is the festival month of Nepal.
During October, the views of snow-capped mountains are incredible and striking as the skies are clear. October falls during the post-monsoon season. There might be few raindrops during the October month but most of the time the sun will shine bright above you letting you enjoy the crystal clear views of the beautiful mountains. The temperature, the climate, and the weather are perfect for the trekking to Everest Base Camp. The atmosphere is very supportive providing clear and fresh environment. The lovely green hills, the mind-blowing waterfalls, and heart-soothing sights of the soaring mountains please the trekkers forgetting your weariness.
Highlights of Mount Everest Trekking in October
- Sight-seeing tour of Kathmandu valley and the major cultural and historical sites enlisted in the UNESCO world heritage sites
- Scenic Mountain Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla to Kathmandu
- Remarkable sceneries of snow-capped mountains and green hills with unique landscapes
- Namche Bazaar: the gateway and central hub of trading in the Khumbu region.
- Tengboche Monastery: the oldest monastery of Khumbu region
- Kalapatthar: the best vantage point for the best view of the Everest region like Nuptse, Lhotse, Pumori, Ama Dablam, etc.
- Sagarmatha National Park
- Unique customs and traditions of Sherpa people, their hospitality and lifestyle
- Traditional food items such as Rice, Lentils, Dhido, Vegetable Curry, pickle, etc.
- Major festivals like Dashain, Tihar, Chath, etc.
Festival Month of the Year
Nepal is a Hindu kingdom with numerous festivals all year-round. Two main festivals, Dashain and Tihar falls during October. The whole nation is in the celebration mood with an amazing festive spirit. You can see the decorated temples with colorful flags and lightings, butter lamps, etc. The joy of festivals can be clearly depicted in the face of Nepalese during the festivals. If you trek in October, you can be involved in the celebrations and be part of the happiness and togetherness. You can receive blessings on the tenth day of Dashain, as putting Tika on your forehead by the elderly Sherpa people en route to Everest Base Camp. Try to grab the celebratory feeling by trekking during October and enjoy the Happy Trail to Everest.
Moderate Climate in October
October falls in the post-monsoon and pre-winter season. So comparatively, the climate is much more preferable for trekking to Everest Base Camp during October. There is the least possibility of rainfall and snowfall. That prevents slippery trails unlike in monsoon and chilled climate in the winter season. The rainfalls clear all the dirt and dust in the atmosphere offering clarity and visibility. Also, humidity is very less this month. The weather is more stable in October than in other months. This also lets you start your trek without rushing in the early morning.
The temperature during Everest Base Camp in October
The temperature generally ranges from 12 degrees Celsius to 16 degrees Celsius during the day time. While it ranges from -5 degrees Celsius to 2 degrees Celsius during the night time. There is a decrease in temperature as you go up. Despite being the favorable month in the aspect of temperature and climate, it is still unpredictable for any alterations in the weather. You must be ready for it. Here is the brief information regarding the average temperature in different places of the Everest region:
- Lukla (2,829 m): 10-11°C.
- Namche Bazaar (3,463 m): around 7°C.
- Dingboche (4,483 m): 1-2°C; sometimes it falls to minus degrees
- Lobuche (4,910 m): -1 to 1 °C.
- Gorak Shep (5180 m): around -1.8°C, the highest sleeping point of Everest Base Camp Trekking
Considering the average temperature, the favorable climate, and the stable weather, October is taken as the perfect month, an ideal time for Everest Base Camp Trekking.
Accommodation and Meals
October is the peak season for Trekking to Everest. So, it is expected that the facilities to stay sometimes is compromising. Tea houses accommodation is popular in the Everest Trekking route providing basic facilities for accommodation including meals. The twin sharing rooms with a blanket are available in almost all the stay of this trail. A single room can be made available but at extra cost. It is sometimes difficult to provide extra blankets during the peak season. So, it is better to carry warm clothes and if possible sleeping bags. There is a provision of meals in the same tea houses or guest houses you are staying in. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner are provided but if you have special orders, you must inform at least 1 hour prior to the meal timing. A very short menu with varieties like Dal Bhat (Rice and Lentils), Momo, Noodles, Pizza, Soups, etc. is availed. Alcohol intake causes dehydration. So it is better to avoid alcohol consumption as it might give you a hangover, not suitable for trekking in the high altitude.
A dust and dirt free environment makes your trekking fresh and enjoyable. During October, the scenes of the mountains and the surrounding area very clean and clear. The soaring snow-capped Himalayas beneath the deep blue sky is breathtaking. The serenity of the perfect weather and the favorable temperature blow out all the stress and the tiredness of the trekking. The mind and soul get relaxed.
During the days, the scenic views of stunning landscapes and the exotic nature are pleasing. Occasional rainfalls can be expected as October falls during the post-monsoon season. Sometimes there is snowfall letting the temperature drop to a minus degree. Otherwise, most of the time of October is considered ideal for the crystal clear scenic views of Everest massifs and the surrounding.
Sagarmatha National Park of Everest Region is one of the highlights of Everest Base Camp trekking. This National Park has protected diverse vegetation providing shelter to varied flora and fauna. While trekking, you will pass through the beautiful dense forests of Rhododendron, Oaks, and Pines. The view of cattle grazing on the meadows is lovely. The alpine vegetation of the Everest region is simply appealing and concealing the exotic beauty of nature calling for exploration and discovery to enjoy its purity.
Packing list for Everest Base Camp Trekking
- Lightweight shirts and pants
- Trekking trousers
- Down jackets
- Trekking boots
- Warm, woolen socks
- Gloves or mittens
- Caps or hats or beanies
- Toiletries like Moisturizer, Hand Sanitizers, Sunscreen lotion, Lip balm, etc.
- Shampoo, Soaps, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Wet wipes, Tissue rolls, etc.
- Extra Batteries for electronic devices
- Light sleeping bags
- Water purifiers
- First aid kit
Tips for Everest Base Camp Trekking in October
- An early start to Everest lets you explore the destination early and in less crowd. Sunset views can be caught at the right time.
- Stable weather most of the time. But be prepared for the bad weather like rainfall, snowfall, and decline in temperature, windy climate, etc.
- Rugged mountains and narrow trails. Carry light backpacks avoiding unnecessary items
- Hire an experienced and well-trained guide. They are capable of handling any kind of mishaps or emergency evacuation situations as they are well-known to the change in the climate and about the region.
- Carry warm clothes and sleeping bags to stay warm during colder temperatures.
- Maintain a constant pace during the walk. It prevents exhaustion.
- Carry a water bottle. Plenty of water avoids dehydration and other altitude sicknesses.
- Try to eat vegetarian meals as much as possible. Sometimes, the meats are not fresh in the mountains.
- Keep chocolate bars and light snacks to avoid low energy or weakness during the walk.
- Budget management is another key factor to keep in mind. There is no bank in the mountains. An ATM and a bank are there in Namche Bazaar.
Countable hindrances during Trekking to Everest Base Camp
- October: the peak season of Trekking to Everest Base Camp. So, it is obvious that all the trekkers will desire of getting better rooms with all the basic amenities. It is sometimes difficult to get accommodation as we wish. To tackle this problem, it is better to start in early October. Beforehand booking is a way to avoid this problem of getting a better place to stay en route to Everest.
- Altitude Sickness: Symptoms must be reported to the Trekking guide or the leader of the group immediately. So that the sickness can be managed accordingly before it becomes a severe health issue.
- Weather alterations: Even though October is considered to be the perfect month for Everest Base Camp Trekking, no one is capable of predicting the weather changes in the mountains. There might be occasional rainfall or downpour or snowfall.
- Trekking Route: The trails might be slippery due to the rainfall and difficult to walk. Similarly, the snowfall might block the roads or walking can be challenging and risky at times.
Everest Base Camp Trekking in October lets you enjoy the fullest of trekking during the festive season. As most praised festivals of Nepalese are celebrated during October, you will be part of it. This trekking to Everest Base Camp in October not only lets you enjoy the natural diversity of the Everest region but also allows you to participate in the Nepalese culture and traditions. Discover the real Nepal during the festal October month and experience the uniqueness. The final say is part of Nepalese culture and enjoys the celebrations along with the adorable Everest Base Camp Trekking in October.
Author: Step on Himalaya
Date: 15th October, 2019